Musings

My ramblings......

Thursday, November 10, 2005

Hmmmmm.... its 2.30... and still 3 hrs to go home.... and a load of testing to be done yet :(
Anyways was listening to ARR's Vellai pookkal... from Kannathil Muthamittal and now is a good time to try translating it...

Let the pristine flowers bloom anew
Let the magnificient dawn usher in peace
Let the golden sun light the earth
Let the flowers wake up rejuvenated
Let the children wake up in their mothers warmth
Let the glorious dawn alight
In the smile of every child.

Would the music of the winds
And the thunder of the rains
Ever match the depths of silence?
Would a million songs and mere words
Ever equal the power of a few tears?
Where the child beckons you
Would you not ascend the skies, oh moon?
Where the wars have fled humanity
Would not the doves sing the music of peace???


The lyrics is one of my favs.However I try, I dont think that I can capture the essence as beautifully as its in Tamil... as in the language it was written... I remember the days in school when I attempted learning Bengali to read Gitanjali in Bengali...Maybe its time my mom sends me my Bengali in 30 days book!!!!

9 Comments:

  • At 5:09 PM, Blogger RS said…

    That's a sweet translation, evocative!

     
  • At 6:18 PM, Blogger mathangi k said…

    Thanks RS :)

     
  • At 4:33 AM, Blogger The Doodler said…

    Mathangi,
    that's a very good translation. I was listening to that song just this morning.

     
  • At 1:10 AM, Blogger mathangi k said…

    Subha...
    These days I listen to that song just abt all the time!!!

    :)
    Mathangi

     
  • At 1:08 AM, Blogger Subhashini said…

    Hi Mathangi,

    That's a really good translation of a truly wonderful song.

     
  • At 7:43 PM, Blogger woorkeri wittynathan said…

    I 'discovered' this song about 6 months ago and have been hooked onto it ever since. Thanks a ton for translating the lyrics, you've just enriched my listening experience. Regemaan rocks!

     
  • At 8:13 PM, Blogger woorkeri wittynathan said…

    I think it's time for you to be a good girl and translate 'Pachai Nirame'.
    Doesn't it end along the lines of 'Your heart is pristine, like the white hue of sthing sthing...' ?

     
  • At 8:06 AM, Blogger sb said…

    hey,
    nee eppo ippadi ellam ana?!!!
    cool, good stuff there

     
  • At 8:19 AM, Blogger mathangi k said…

    sujan...appo appo bayangarama enakku mara kazhandudum..

    :D

     

Post a Comment

<< Home